Monday, 12 March 2012

By process of...Trust - Part 2

Ok, here is the rest! This section has a little bit more on my decision of where to study, how I got to this point, and God's exciting guidance through it all! My future is looking so good and I'm mega excited for all God has in store for me!


A particular event which helped to confirm this career choice in Law was at a youth leader’s conference at my church in early February. I had been in a state of confusion and emotional instability (and slight anger with God for not giving me an answer about my future) and desperately just wanted to HEAR God’s voice. In a time of quiet worship in the service, I decided that rather than shout my demands at God, I would be still and listen (what’s that verse? ‘Be still and know that I am God…’) and as the music began to build again, I heard, as clearly as if those on stage were singing it directly to me ‘Claire, what makes you angry?’.  It is not often that I can immediately discern my voice against God’s, but this word was clearly from Him, and the great part was, I didn’t even think before I answered, almost immediately: ‘Injustice. Injustice makes me angry’. Now, although these next thoughts weren’t as clearly from God as the first, I felt a sense of God saying: ‘That’s good, now let’s use that anger.’ After this, I felt an overwhelming sense of peace. All of the frustration and anger that had been building for months seemed to melt with the sense of ‘You are my [daughter], whom I love; with you I am well pleased.’ – Mark 1:11. Now, personally I did not see what God would have been pleased with me about over the past months. I was frustrated, had a negative, angry attitude towards the future and wasted time that I could have been seeking God for my future, to do useless things like watch ridiculous amounts of TV and moan about chores. I wanted to be loud and angry, when God wanted me to just ‘be still’. 
Do you ever get this picture of us throwing a tantrum on earth and God just sitting up on a throne, looking at a watch with a smile on his face waiting for us to calm down and listen to Him? I think this can apply for most of us…
Well, from that point I have continued to pray and seek God in my choice of career path and can confidently say, I believe that Law, specifically European Law, is what I feel God has called me to do. Whether that means I start this coming September, or take a gap year and start in 2013 (if I don’t get the grades), I believe Law is where God will place me. I am so excited. The University of Kent, in the South of England is currently my top choice for a number of reasons: it is known as the UK’s European University, there are students from 75 different countries studying in the law school alone (YAY!! DIVERSITY, INTERNATIONAL PEOPLE! :D), and it is known as a Critical Law School, where they give students the chance to argue for or against laws and share their views, as opposed to Black Letter Law – learning, understanding and applying the law – with no room to challenge it. 
Quick note to add for all the Americans - getting into university here is completely different than getting into US Colleges. Here, offers are contingent upon students achieving certain grades at the end of their Senior Year. For example, I need AAB to get into Kent University, and should I fail to meet those requirements, the university is well within their rights to reject my offer of a place - no pressure! This is why I mentioned not starting until 2013 - in case I don’t get the grades, then a gap year is in order! 
Many have asked me if part of my motivation to study law is for the money. I can honestly and confidently say NO. The money has absolutely no interest to me. My parents have taught me an essential lesson of trusting in God for ALL financial needs. Though we have never had ‘extra’ material things such as extra money for clothes or the latest consumer gadgets, we have never gone without. God has been generous, and it has taught me that when God says in His word that ‘He will provide all our needs according to the riches of His glory in Christ Jesus’ – that he will be true to his word. I am considering a concentration in Immigration Law or doing legal aid work, of which I am well aware are not the high paying jobs. This does not bother me because I trust that God will provide all of my needs, and working with those who cannot pay for legal representation is often where you can build friendships and share Christ’s love. I am excited to work with the marginalised, the forgotten, and the ‘stepped over’ citizens that are so neglected by the government. This is where God can use me, and this is where I believe my light for Christ, can shine brightest. 
So folks, I write this for those of you who live far away, for any of you who are interested in the how’s and why’s of my choice to study law, and to share a bit of my passion with you. It’s difficult to explain just how excited I am about the upcoming future! For those in the US who are disappointed that I won’t be returning for an extended period or for College, I am sorry, but I hope you understand and support my decision, and will be excited with me. (I am however, returning this summer for about 2 1/2 months!) I am just beginning an incredible journey with Him, and my joy is overwhelming! This is my first full blog post and I plan to do more, just to keep you all updated about these next months and my university journey. 
Thank you all, I am blessed to have you all by my side, walking through this exciting time with me!
God Bless,
Claire Splawn

No comments:

Post a Comment